Sunday 4 January 2009

Part Two of In the wake of New Year 2009: How Architecture Screws Up My Life

PART TWO
So if my New Year a little moderate, not for my much thought-about architectural ambitions. Although the title was 'How Architecture Screws Up My Life', it is about how my full potential was achieved by learning architecture.

Architecture to me is a dogma. To learn architecture, one must acquire architectural language, thus making one eligible to mingle around architectural personals who speak the same lingo and jargon. Having said that, that notion was a basic towards all type of gained knowledge. I am not going into philosophy yet, as I could but my rambling today was ignited by Adam Sharr's book entitled Heidegger for Architects.

The first chapter of the book tells us about the journey Heidegger went through during his mountain walks. It had the same feeling when I was in the first year, 2nd semester of my architectural education. My lecturer, Mr. Mior Shahriman said, the trip to Gua Tempurung was to make us learn about appreciation of space. Space has to be experienced! Space has to be made to accomodate the needs of human, or rather, the human has to accomodate the space for his needs.

My thoughts of this went from Heidegger, Norburg-Schulz and Kevin Lynch. Kevin Lynch wrote about 5 things that make an image of a city; Path, Edges, Districts, Nodes, Landmarks. Almost all the factors have to be experienced before being identified as sentimental to the users of a city. These things are vital in making architecture of the city.

Again, space has to be formulated to fit the locality. Heidegger said space is prove for existentialism of beings (or Beings). However, if we dont experience, are we less of an architect? Some people refuse to let themselves open to new avenues. I've known these people, I've across them in life and I felt sorry for them for they are denying the nature of human inquisitive curiosity.

This is how much Architecture Screws Me Up:
1. I felt that if I wont be an architect I'll let everyone down.
2. As much as I want to design all of my life, I FEAR rejection and non-believers in my great ideas.
3. EVERY SINGLE THING has to connnect to architecture or arts.
4. I am dying of hunger of knowledge from renowned architects... whom I wish their ideas and works could be easily obtained.
5. I laughed at excessive calculation of Mathematics. I just love doodling on my notepad!

My way of ushering New Year this year brings more opportunity for me in Architecture. Despite the world economic crisis, I believed that I can do this and perform in anyway I want. Till then, I'll be back with more Heidegger's existentialism and Husserl's phenomenology.
Toodles my architectural comrades. May the drawings be with you!!!

No comments: