Sunday 29 November 2009

Architecture Scene in Malaysia

Although I live in Australia, I am still interested in my own country's affair especially the architectural social circle. I am still in contact with most of my friends, picking out the gist of what is good and what is controversial.

I always read up on Prof Tajuddin's writing on TheStar.com. and always buy the paper which has his article whenever I am at home. He himself is no stranger in the business. He has a few books to his name and I do admit that his arguments are solely for the benefit of nation building, in this case, Malaysia.


I wonder what he would say to the following articles or opinion posted by The Star readers on LAM Architect Registration.

Read up these two articles and I think the president didn't really address the issue. Issue that needed to be addressed are:



1. Transparency - so only 9% passed the exam. Why? Specific cases please? Can you please disclose unwanted answers that actually has been answered for the exam? Considering that the exam is only once a year and thinking of all the studying done is for nothing. I think the examination council has to publish a 'post-mortem booklet' to all unsuccessful applicants so that they know what has gone wrong and with this they'll remember what NOT to do next.

2. Up-to-date information on the internet - with the current wide world of web, website of an architectural organization should be beneficial to its members and also to the community who wish to seek answers regarding the profession. LAM/PAM doesn't do this - at least not extensively. Basic information has been posted just enough so that people grasp the idea, but if you have any questions, please contact the office. I dont mean to juxtapose unfairly to my own country but if you have a look at other architecture associations throughout the world, their websites has some substantial information.


Recently, I have contacted the office of LAM, asking about Part 1 & Part 2 recognition. The answer I got was that as long as the degrees are recognized by AACA (Architects Accreditation Council of Australia) we should be able to register for Part 3 straightaway.
So this means that I have to register as a graduate architect for at least a year, fill up my log book and -voila!- ready for Part 3 exam.
It doesn't seem that easy nowadays...

No comments: