Wednesday 7 April 2010

Malaysia Pavilion at Shanghai World Expo

First of all, apologies for not be able to keep up with times and update this blog.

Secondly, I am truely and utterly disgraced by what I have stumbled upon this morning. And have been enraged ever since.

Well, I should be proud that Malaysia has its own pavilion design this year at the prestigous Shanghai World Expo 2010. BUT... I am feeling very very very disappointed by the sheer fact that there is no articulation of design in its conceptual diagramme thus reflected on the form for that matter. In short - Badly Designed.

Put politics aside, RM20million would be spend to promote Malaysia as a nation and to be able to do so, one has to design a pavilion to reflect my beautiful country. Architecture wise, one has to be able to demonstrate that Malaysia has deep mixed cultural roots that can be traced back to the 12-14th century. One has to articulate the best design/features for the pavilion.

So what do we get? A direct copy-paste rendition of one of the traditional houses and blown up to accomodate "commercial" scale. I will paste them in my next post so that I can put my own commentaries on them. (More like scrutinizing)

Apparently the pavilion was designed by Design Evolution Architects Sdn Bhd, and the final design was their second submitted to the ministry. Honestly I liked the first proposal because the architects have injected some intelligence into it.

This is their first proposal:



I liked it as much as I have liked our National Library on Jalan Tun Razak, KL.
I admitted that this one has a little bit more thinking on the spatial features.
I found that this design incorporated Sarawakians' tribal motives, Chinese letterings (because it is in Shanghai), more generic and Malaysian-theme elements.
This pavilion simply answered our theme for this year's expo - Better City Better Living

No comments: