Friday 27 February 2009

Politics for me?

Being in Malaysia -or being a Malaysian- politic is a normal topic of conversation. It is not as technical as we would like it to be, hence it is a topic that everyone would love to get involved. As for me, I would love to avoid it at my best way of dodging the harsh reality. I am an optimist so I have a rather positive way of seeing things that sometimes made me blind to the fact of the situation.
One of the book I read last year entitled In Praise of Shadows by Junichiro Tanizaki opened my eyes of the excepting the current condition of life. Although I can't quote the exact page or paragraph from the book, Tanizaki compared the way of the Japanese with the Westernized culture. It is intriguing to know that the Japanese or rather most of the Eastern culture will make the best of the current situation and be content with the surroundings. Whereas the Western cultures train us to improve things by adding more things or in this case, change where you can.

The moral of my thinking here is that although sometimes we wished that things could be better, there are some things that better to be left just as it is. I am scared that my hopes and efforts will evaporate into thin air, just like when someone crushes your dream. I'd rather leave the political sides of Malaysia to those who had it as their forte so I just stick to do what I was supposed to do.
However, I can't stop my wishful thinking because I know that one day when humans wake up from their sleep they will realize that it is already too late to change.

No comments: