Sunday 4 January 2009

Part One of In the wake of New Year 2009: How Architecture Screws Up My Life

Well, it was supposed to be two articles but I think it will be worthy to be put together as a complement for each other. See, I welcomed 2009 with open arms, putting every bad thing behind me.
Define bad things: depression, sadness, regret, anger, etc... in short, all the things that doesnt contribute to my Positive Mental Attitude.


PART ONE
First thing first, let see what I did on New Years Eve. We celebrated a friend's birthday on the last day of the year and about 8-ish at night I made my way up to Eureka Tower in Melbourne. It was designed by Fender Katsalidis architect, and it is the tallest residential building in the world. Further readings can be found at the end of this post.

On the 88th floor of the tower we had our small party. The view from up there was breathtaking! The whole floor provided 360deg view of Melbourne. The only downside that night is I didnt bring my other 75-300mm VR lense with me, so I have to be content with the basic lense I had, which works great anyway.

My favourite shot of the night have to be this one:















Fireworks that followed:














The picture of the sunset was the first shot of the evening, whilst setting up the camera and scrutinizing the building's weird positioning for beautiful views.
The horizontal picture shows the fireworks along the Yarra River. Fed Sq is a little hidden behind the first firework on the left and a bit of Hamer Hall can be seen on the bottom right of the frame. The vertical picture is another firework which was bigger and more spectacular than the Yarra River display, which was set up near the Royal Botanical Gardens. Correct me if I'm wrong but we had a little dispute of the name of the particular garden. Look up on Google Map and you'll know why.

So the ushering of New Year was much welcomed as I wish to cleanse the much regretted version of myself. I have been picking up a lot of books on philosophy and architecture. Just like the blog's name, it offers me more sublime thoughts, taking me back to the basic of ethics and morality to conduct and dictate my life.

Resolutions? Yes, I do have definite ones. Let see...

1. Finish uni! I have been in uni longer than I can remember. Gosh...cant wait to get it over with.
2. Getting some strong philosophy background, in regards with architecture
3. Mastering technical language of the web. Yes, I want to make my own website and things related to that.
4. Opps, I also needed to learn more 3D programs for my architecture development.

So yeah, that is what we have for 2009.


Links:

On Eureka Tower by Karl Fender:
http://www.abc.net.au/dimensions/dimensions_future/Transcripts/s661686.htm

No comments: